Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Apricots, apricots!

We had a bumper crop of apricots this year and it's been quite an experience to figure out what to do with them. We've shared them, jammed them, juiced them, strained them, frozen them,and dried them. We've had adventures climbing the tree, and adventures cleaning them up from under it. (Sam's quite convinced you can catch tuberculosis , mad cow disease and any number of other dread diseases from slogging around in ankle-deep, muddy irrigation water/apricot sludge...he might be right, it was gross!) All in all, though, it's been fun to learn a few new things, especially since a lot of it was done with the help of friends. As an added bonus, we now have a little more food storage. If the "big one" hits, we may be parched and famished, but we'll have jam!!

Grace is such a great helper!

Brent Zastrow had never climbed a tree before!

Sam had, and I couldn't help telling him not to break his neck.
Luckily he turned away before he rolled his eyes...


He was waaaaayyyyy up there.

Thanks to the Wisners for the ladder and Eric, as always, thanks for the sincere smile...
Grace is cute, huh?!

Kelli and Meagan catch the apricots flung from high branches.
(Meagan and Brent now have a beautiful 2 week old baby girl!!)

6 comments:

Jon said...

That looks like fun! I wish we had an apricot tree. Yeah, at least you'll be able to survive on apricots (fruit) if the "big one" hits.

Kelli said...

Many of us have reaped the benefits of your apricot tree! Thanks for helping me make jam. It was a lot of fun!

Bethany said...

That looks like alot of fun, I bet you all laughed alot! Grace was a good helper, I can tell ")

Holly said...

WOW! How super fun. I am semi-jelous. We have mystery citrus trees in our back yard. We won't know what kind of fruit they will have for about two more years.

Jessica Speed said...

Looks like a good time! Some day I will learn how to do all those things! Thanks for the inspiration!

Eric said...

Good thing Grace is in that picture with me or it would've never made the blog! I wouldn't have been offended if you cropped me out, at least I know my ladder would've still been in there.

Once you start making things like apricot toothpaste you know you've reached your limit, although shampoo wouldn't be bad...