Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Last Hurrah(s)

Summer vacation was drawing to a close in August, but we didn't slow down, no way!  We headed south again to Cedar City at the beginning of the month for the Chamberlain family reunion.  Now, if you know the Chamberlain family or have heard me talk about this reunion before, you know that we look forward to this all year...no joke.  We love these 3 days of total craziness and family overload!  (The fact that we stayed in a hotel this year and got to swim was a bonus, too.)  
Our little family went early so that Sam and I could celebrate our 10 year anniversary (a little late) by attending the Utah Shakespearean Festival.  We had a super yummy dinner at The Pizza Factory and then saw the play "Much Ado About Nothing."  
What a night!  The play was so funny and everything was perfect, even down to my shoes (thank you, Mandy!).  Indulge me for just a moment while I take a minute to reflect on the last 10 years.  10 years...that's a long time, and we still like each other--a lot!!  Sam is my favorite person to spend time with, my ally in everything.  I look at our family and can hardly believe all that's changed, and how much joy we've experienced.  It takes my breath away.  I married the best, and while we aren't exactly where we thought we'd be 10 years later, I wouldn't be here with anyone else-no matter what.  

Now, about that reunion...
We spent Saturday morning at Iron Mission State Park in Cedar City (that's the old name, they've changed it to something less "Mormon" you know with the whole mission thing.  I know, stupidest thing I've ever heard, maybe they should change the name of Mission Viejo, too...but I digress)
The park is full of fun pioneer memorabilia and activities...and weirdos, like these two.  
They donned the laundry instead of washing it.
Caleb and Karlee ignored their silly uncles and helped with 19th century laundry.
Grace had some hands-on experience making bricks.
.
They got to make their own candles (which melted later in the hot car and are now a semi-permanent fixture.)
Some of the teenagers made candles got manicures.
Brooklyn watched it all with a critical eye.
This was only a small part of our fun.  We spent the rest of the day in "scenic Enoch" at a place called Three Peaks and the next day in Grandma's backyard (and stuffed in the carport for a testimony meeting in the rain.)  There was just way too much fun to condense into a couple more pictures, so here's another nifty slide show.  Don't forget to click on the "x" in the bottom corner to remove the banner ad and see the full picture and commentary.


I love my family!!

1 comment:

Mindi said...

Look at you getting all caught up. I'm jealous. I'm more behind in blogging then I ever has been, but then again life is crazier than it ever has been too. You just motivated me a little bit, maybe thoughts of blogging will at least cross my mind a little.

I love seeing your pictures, very cute.