Saturday, September 5, 2009

When life gives you apples...


I was just coming out of a friend's house across the street a couple weeks ago when this sight greeted us. About a third of our apple tree had simply...fallen down. Closer inspection revealed thousands and thousands of carpenter ants had taken up residence in the tree and had eaten themselves (quite literally) out of house and home. All these beautiful, surprisingly worm-free apples were now within reach...what to do with them? APPLESAUCE!! I canned applesauce! The kids, who hadn't been big fans of the stuff, love it! Sadly, the tree will more than likely have to go. The fallen branch has been removed and sometime this fall, the rest of the tree will follow. To be honest, I won't actually miss the apples much...they're usually wormy and they make it really hard to mow the lawn; but oh, how I'll miss the shade! We have played under this tree every day of every summer since we moved here. We've chatted and picniced and climbed. This tree has been here for more than 50 years, we probably won't see it's equal (unless we buy a really old house someday-and considering the size of the closets in this one...it's not likely!)





No comments: