Monday, September 14, 2009

Timpanogos Cave

We've lived in Utah County for 3 years now and had yet to make the trek to Timpanogos Cave. I went there as a child and remember thinking it was pretty cool; so for Labor Day, we made a family event of it, inviting my parents and all my brothers and sisters to come along with us! A mile and a half, paved trail, no problem, right? A mile and a half, a paved trail...straight up the side of the dang mountain! Holy cow! Good thing I'm in shape...(that's a good one, huh!)

Brooklyn made it all the way up the trail and into the cave before deciding she had to eat...NOW!! How many of you can say you've nursed in a cave, on your feet, moving through tiny openings, trying not to ruin thousands of years of cave formations? Ha! Bragging rights...or...something.

This deserves some explanation: All along the trail there are places marked with a red stripe. Signs nearby warn that there are frequent rock slides in the marked area and not to stop or stand there. We noted this bench on the way down. No warnings, in fact the bench "invites" you to sit and linger for awhile. However, a closer look may change your mind...

Here's some more pictures of our day:

1 comment:

Parker family said...

We hiked to Timpanogos Cave when Haylee was 3 months old and not to take away any of your bragging rights, but I also had the unique experience of nursing her in the cave while taking the tour. I was grateful for the darkness however because I'm not sure that I was properly covered the whole time, lol. Aleeya had just been potty trained too and of course she had to go while in the cave so she had to use one of those little bag things that they provide, though I don't think all of it made it into the bag, sorry cave we may have destroyed some of your delicate surfaces.... Oh, the fun we have with kids!