We decided to plant a garden this year for the first time. It took us awhile because we had to start from scratch, clearing out the lawn and adding better soil. Digging out the grass was no picnic, but we finally finished last week and our wonderful neighbor took Sam to get a load of rich (but smelly) compost. That done, we just had to wait until after our next watering turn (flood irrigation). We didn't want everything to float away. Finally, tonight, it was time...oh, joy. It's one thing to plan a garden, it's quite another to plant it. We're both oddly clueless, considering we both came from garden-planting families. However, we have some seeds, some plants, and some soil and figure something will grow...hopefully. Funny enough, we sure could buy a bunch of veges for the money we've spent being self-sufficient, but it's an investment, right? Riiiiiiight. It was fun, at least, the kids had a ball. They all tromped through the mud and got their hands filthy. McKenna even sampled the soil, mmmmm. It will be fun to watch things grow and maybe, just maybe, "vege" will no longer be a four-letter word...if you know what I mean.
Daddy's helper.
Daddy's helper.
"Take a picture of us, we're like farmers!"c.






5 comments:
Oooh! how fun. Someday we will get to be so lucky. We will also have no idea what we are doing. well... I guess I should speak for myself, I will have no idea what to do, but I'm excited still. Good luck.
Fun! We planted one last year and got some stuff to grow, but our soil sucked so ya. This year we had some "volunteer" plants come up and my goodness that fertilizer we put in before winter did the trick! We still haven't planted this year, but we want to try corn again, maybe just maybe we will get some this year :)
GOOD LUCK!!! :)
Erin you are funny! I had to giggle at the comment you left on my blog! :)
Wow, we didn't know we lived across the street from real farmers! Good Luck! You have inspired me to do a garden next year, even just for how fun it will be for the kids!
What a great shot of McKenna. You only get one that good after a thousand tries...and it doesn't even look staged.
Don't you love how we didn't help get your garden setup and yet you've already helped paint half our house with us...funny how that works. Sometimes I have no idea why you guys continue to befriend us, are you really that desperate?! ;)
Post a Comment