Thursday, September 11, 2008

You've got to be kidding...

Excerpt from our life: Tonight we were at a restaurant for dinner. Sam has been studying so hard for this insurance exam and had spent all day at the UVU library. I'd dropped him off so he didn't have to worry about finding parking, so when I went to pick him up, we decided it would be fun to take the kids to dinner. I don't know why we persist in this delusion, unless there's a playland, there is no "fun" (and if there IS a playland, the food is abominable). The kids were starting to get a little restless before our meal came, Karlee wanted to "take a little walk" around the restaurant, McKenna was whining and yelling (yes, yelling) and Caleb was on the floor under the table. Suddenly he started crying and I looked down to see blood on his hands. A little taken aback, I asked him what happened. The answer was a little garbled, but the look on Grace's face was clearly guilt ridden and Caleb was pointing to his mouth and trying to hand me something off the floor. We finally sorted out that he had been trying to grab Grace's flip flop...and she (quite literally) kicked him in the teeth, knocking one out. To be fair, it was very loose already, she just finished it off, but she was pretty humbled. Sam took Caleb (holding a bloody napkin to his mouth), Karlee and McKenna outside for a few minutes. Grace repented, and I tried not to laugh, (come on, that's seriously the most ridiculously hilarious thing ever!) then we shared some chips while we continued to wait for our meal. Sam came back with the now smiling (and even more lispy) Caleb, and calmer Karlee and McKenna and I'm happy to say, we finished our meal with little more excitement. Both the waitress and manager were regaled by the kids with the full story, however, and Sam and I just smiled at the "what the...?!" look on their faces. Ya, that's going to be a permanent addition to "Brand Family Lore" I tell you what!

3 comments:

Meagan Zastrow said...

Sounds like a great family outing. It's always great to have some variety to the day, and you always seem to be able to keep a positive attitude even in the face of apparent chaos.

Eric said...

I've nearly resigned myself to only taking the kids to places with playgrounds. I tried limiting it to places where you can color on the placemats but there are too many of them now. I relate restaurants to church, sometimes they make a big scene but there's no other real way to teach them reverence unless you actually take them there and let them try...which of course results in injury and chaos on occasion.

Eric said...

Update: Caleb lost another tooth. I can't wait to see what fictitious story you employ to explain how this one was lost! ;)